Sunday, November 18, 2012

My very first decoupage.

The time has come to reveal my latest weekend project!! My very generous aunt called me before a trip to Goodwill and asked if I wanted an old little dresser than her kids no longer use. I don't know what it is in me, but whenever there's an opportunity to save a family item...I always say yes. This could become an issue down the road...hoarder in the making maybe. That's a post for another day... don't tell my husband. ;)

For the past few weekends I worked on refinishing the dresser little by little. I started by sanding it down and adding a fresh coat of white paint. I picked a shade that matches our baby's crib perfectly. My first intentions were to paint the top of the dresser to match the espresso trim of the crib, but quickly discovered that stain was a better option. Unfortunately stain just wouldn't work. So I jumped online to look for the latest trend and discovered my newest obsession: mod podge.


I will say I was a little nervous to use Mod Podge for the first time on a family item, but I'm really glad I went for it!! I bought a piece of inexpensive fabric and cut it to fit the entire dresser top. Followed the Mod Podge instructions and POOF... a master piece. 



The process was a lot easier than expected:

  • Sand
  • Paint
  • Sand again.
  • Apply Mod Modge & fabric piece.
  • Wait.
  • Apply more Mod Modge.
  • Wait again.
  • Sand....again :/
  • More Mod Modge...more sanding...again, and again, and again..
I'm really the instant gratification type so waiting for mod podge to dry & sanding various layers were probably my least favorite parts of the project.

  • Finally I sprayed the top with a clear acryilic sealer & added the new drawer pulls. 
  • Time to be proud and for the moment only answer to, "DIY Mom!!!'









1 comment: