Sunday, November 4, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!

Well here we are again.....day light savings!!!! This morning everyone claimed their extra hour of sleep with the exception of all the parents out there who have tiny little minis that pay no attention to our watches. Our baby woke up just before 6am today and I felt myself needing a nap by 10am. So of course on an exhausting day of traveling, cleaning, and playing I decided to round up the baby and head to Walmart at 5pm on a Sunday. When I pulled into the parking lot I immediately knew it wasn't one of my greatest ideas, but we made the best of it!!!

Our trip to Walley World America was one of my first outings out in the dark. The street lights were beaming and headlights circling the parking lot all over. I had to take a deep breath and remember it's just a simple trip to the store and not the end of the world (pulling into to an overpopulated parking lot at night with a Baby can be quite scary at first). I was fully equipped with our grocery cart cover, winter hat, diaper bag and more. We headed in like two soldiers about to go to war.

As we entered the sliding glass doors, felt the sudden blast of wind (where does that come from) and survived the giant grocery cart speed bump, my very first observation was....CHRISTMAS!! The pumpkins haven't even met markdowns yet and the potted evergreen is on sale (spray glitter included I must add). The baby and I browsed around the store looking for gift giving inspiration I suppose. Until I run into the scented pine cones, I feel holiday resistant.

All the marketing craze made me start thinking about all the fuss of the holidays. We live in Central Washington exactly centered between Spokane relatives & Seattle relatives. I imagine Christmas as a beautiful, warm holiday when I don't have to work and I can celebrate joy & appreciation in my sweater and slippers (while eating too...stuffing only tastes right on holiday). Anyways, living away from my parents, my husband's parents, my grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends who are really family....on and on and on.. makes the thought of Christmas exhausting!! A few experienced parents out there have predicted that we will ensure the shuffle for a few years and finally make our own traditions as a family avoiding the stress and commotion. Well I'm here to say that we don't need to wait until the "you can't please everyone" lesson kicks in....I say, We're having Christmas at our house!!!!! Simple. <3

2 comments:

  1. I like the Christmas at your house idea!! I think I need to make that rule this year too. Perfect idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounded like the perfect idea!!! Sadly I failed...looks like we're coming to Spokane for Christmas.


    hmm. ;)

    ReplyDelete