Monday, April 2, 2012

Spring Break: from dance parties to baby milestones.


Well we made it to Spring Break already and I smile when I think about how much my life has changed. So many events have taken place over the past few years that have really molded me into a completely new person. I must say it's fun to look back.

Here's my ever so important binder cover from year 2003. If you didn't have one of these, you certainly missed out on what everyone was doing those days. In order to have the perfect binder, you needed the following ingredients:
  • Family
  • Best Friends
  • Digital Camera (3 mega pixels)
  • Spring Break memories


2003 Spring Break meant spending evenings in the garage waxing my 1988 Honda Accord with my Dad. I remember that day like it was yesterday as the second I started my grey little beauty I noticed that the blinkers didn't work. I drove myself to the nearest gas station on Regal and blushed as I stuck my arms out the window to signal my next move. As excited I was that my Dad bought me a car; I was a horrified thinking about how "everyone" would witness me using arm signals on the South Hill. I'm here today to say I survived the long week without turn signals and was super lucky to be able to drive myself to school.


In 2004 I was spent my week doing my little sister's hair and dressing her up in cute pink outfits. It was even more fun when our cousins came over to play. The photos that I have are priceless.










Jump to 2005 when buying surprise grab bags at the dollar store was the most exciting day of our lives. I wonder if things would have been different if we grew up in FL where MTV hosts all the bikini wearing Spring Breakers.


I spent Spring Break 2010 on the Western Coast with my fiance at the time. Still no tropical, crazy bikini wearing vacationers yet again. This time though I at least found the ocean (a rainy one that is). You seriously have to love clouds and rain if you want to live there. We also went hiking at Mt. Saint Helens as well as Multnomah Falls in OR.


Finally in 2011 I found all the Spring Breakers at South Beach in FL!!!! For the for first time I knew what it was like to step into warm ocean waters during the biggest vacation time of the year. The sand was hot and the drinks were cold. It was an amazing honeymoon vacation. We joke about not planning our trip right, but honestly Spring Break was the perfect time. The weather was great and the destinations were crowded and busy...just how Spring Break is supposed to be! What's a party without a bunch of people?


This year I'm a mom and Spring Break has an entire new meaning. Instead of looking out for MTV Spring Break, seeking out the best pina colada, or hiking up the tallest peaks, I'm spending it with my family. I'm more concerned about what new skill our 3 month old learns this week. Today I witnessed his first signs of the giggles and my heart melted just as it did when I saw his first smile. Hopefully soon we'll hear his entire laugh. It's amazing how the smallest little moments feel so much bigger than any Spring Break party. My best Spring Break memories are with my new family and I can't wait for the many years to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment